Building a Democracy Movement for the U.S.A.
The Liberty Tree Foundation for the Democratic Revolution is a nonprofit organization rooted in the belief that the American Revolution is a living tradition whose greatest promise is democracy. In order to help achieve that promise, Liberty Tree works to create a society in which communities and individuals have the desire, skills, and capacity to participate in the vital decisions that affect their lives. Such a society, we believe, is most likely to emerge from a genuine democratic revolution -- one that focuses on deep structural, legal, and institutional change, dismantles oppression in all its forms, and is organized through the transformation of communities, institutions and local governments into conscious agents of democratic change.
Liberty Tree collaborates with organizations and individuals to build strategic pro-democracy campaigns that directly challenge illegitimate power, dismantle oppression, and develop the skills necessary to lay the foundation for a democratic revolution.
At Liberty Tree, our work is guided by the following values:
- Feminist, democratic principles of collective and individual accountability, mutual responsibility, active power sharing, and non-hierarchical organizing.
- Effective movement building grounded in the real needs and experiences of people and communities struggling for democratic power and liberation.
- American internationalism in the traditions of Thomas Paine, the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, and the Seattle WTO protests.
- Nurturing relationships and an organizing culture that is joyful, hopeful and celebratory.
- The concepts of Sankofa and the Seventh Generation: Sankofa reaches back into our history and carries it into the present; the commitment to the Seventh Generation means that decisions we make today must be evaluated by their impact on generations to come.